Thursday, May 19, 2011

WIC

For those of  you out there who qualify for WIC, I HIGHLY recommend it!
Here's a table to help you determine if you do qualify based on their most recent standards:

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/wicworks/Documents/WIC-IncomeGuidelines-WIC.pdf

I have gotten it ever since Ellie was born and it has helped us SO much financially.  There are a lot of people who get it dishonestly and that is very disappointing, but it shouldn't stop those of us who it was actually MADE for from receiving the benefits.  It does NOT make you a life sucking parasite on the bankrupt State of California.  That's only if you lie to get it.  And you won't.  So here's an idea of what I get every month with 2 kids under 5.

$12 worth of fruits and veggies, either fresh, frozen, or canned
6 gallons of milk
2 quarts of milk
2 dozen eggs
2 16 oz cheeses
4 16 oz packages of whole grains (bread, tortillas, rice, barley, etc.)
72 oz of breakfast cereal (about 4 boxes or 6 small ones)
2 lb of dried beans, peas, or lentils or 2 small jars of peanut butter
4 64 oz bottles of juice


Between 6 months of age and 1 year, babies get baby food checks for 90 jars of baby food every month plus 3 boxes of baby cereal.  Before Cohen turned 1 and I was still breastfeeding, I got checks for myself, too.  Also, when I was pregnant, I got checks that included things like tuna and carrots.  I'm not sure how the formula checks work, because I never formula fed, but I understand it's better to go with the exclusive breastfeeding checks.  That's what they tell me.

It's easy to apply and you only have to go in to the office once every few months to get your checks and sit through a little entertaining class on healthy eating for you and your kids.  Once a year, you have to bring in current documentation to prove you still qualify.  Also about once a year, they skip the class and have you answer some questions about your child's eating habits and if you need any help.  I did my last class online (a new option) and just had to run in and pick up my checks. 

Once you get the checks, you can use them that day.  Just go to any major grocery store (even Super Target) and pick out the items that are allowed.  (Usually, there is a little sticker under it that says WIC Authorized).  Bring your checks and groceries to the checkout and they do the rest.  You just sign on the dotted line.  SO worth it!  Honest!  So here's the website to search for your local office.  Just give them a call and make an appointment.  They will tell you what to bring.


http://www.apps.cdph.ca.gov/wic/resources/laSearch/search.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment