Friday, September 2, 2011

Vons Coupon Books (and my humiliation)

If you happen to be at Vons on Murrieta Hot Springs, getting your free orange juice.  Pick up one of these coupon books while you are there.  These particular books were not free to me...they cost me my pride.  Which I really don't need anyway...
I had been hearing about these MDA coupon books at Vons on the blogs yesterday because they have a coupon in them for $1.50 off Ocean Spray Sparkling juices which are priced at $2 per 4 pack at Vons until Tuesday (making them $.50).  Everyone was saying the books were all gone by now because they were from last month, so I never expected to see one, much less an entire bundle at every checkout when I went in to get my WIC groceries last night.  I asked the cashier as I checked out, "Are those coupon books?"  She said yes and handed me one...one...from a carefully guarded spot with a carefully guarded eye.  Now I see why they still had so many unopened bundles.  No wonder all couponers avoid this particular store.  For you couponers out there, you know the uselessness of ONE coupon.  How are you going to stock up at rock bottom prices and keep from spending all your money on gas driving all over creation with ONE coupon?  So I glanced around to see if they were laying around anywhere else, because I was too ashamed to ask for more and thought from her look she would say no anyway.  As luck would have it, all the other coupon books were bound with plastic straps, so it was either swipe a whole stack and make a break for it, fumble around with it in front of the employees, or go without.  Then I saw on one check stand 4 loose books sitting on top of the bound ones and thought, I will just smoothly exit that direction and grab them on my way out.   I felt pretty smooth for about 2 minutes until I got to the door and realized they lock that side after 9 PM....So I began my walk of shame back past every cashier, every bagger and every customer (not that many at that time of night,only making my not-so-smooth exit all the more noticeable).  I'm sure they just rolled their eyes at me if they even noticed me at all...

2 comments:

  1. I shop at that VONS too and I swear the check out people and manager always have it in for me. Apparently, I frequent that store enough that the owner will stare from the customer service desk as I am at checkout. Kinda creepy and rude! I wish there was another VONS closer. I've done that walk of shame a few times, ha ha! Maybe I will go tomorrow for the free orange juice just to tick them off. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a feeling they were going to give me a hard time about using 2 printable coupons for the orange juice, but Walgreens was out, so I had to go there. I just let each of my adorable children hand her one orange juice and one coupon with a big smile. She grimaced but didn't say anything and went ahead and took them both. It's really nice to know it's not just me they hate. :)

    ReplyDelete